The Best Snacks for Your Beach Bag!
By: VIDA Registered Dietitian Leigh Delavan
August is a popular time for beach vacations. What’s better than getting away from the D.C. heat and dipping your toes into the cool ocean?
Unfortunately, these beach vacations can be a bit of a challenge in terms of keeping up with your fitness and nutrition goals. While no one expects you to be running marathons on your week off, below are a few simple tips to help keep you on track while you relax.
Healthy Beach Snacking: rather than relying on dismal boardwalk options, fill a cooler with some healthy staples and non-alcoholic beverages to keep you hydrated
- Cut veggies (carrots, celery, bell peppers, etc.) and hummus (single-serve cups are a convenient option)
- Fresh fruit (apples, oranges, watermelon, etc.)
- Frozen grapes or cherries (great for a hot day)
- Almonds (bonus points for individual portion-controlled packages)
- Air-popped popcorn
- String cheese
- Low-sodium turkey jerky (look for brands with no preservatives added)
- Roasted chickpeas
Another tip—try to maintain a normal meal schedule so that you aren’t relying solely on snacks for sustenance. Now go soak up that sunshine!